Week 1 Reflection

The life of an educator/coach at Proctor is a non stop thrill ride. And I’m just starting to get the taste of it more and more about it each day. Everyday, I see and learn new things from my mentor, Melanie, just through her interactions with her students and players. Everyday, I’m getting to meet and get to know my peers on a deeper level. I’m no longer just co-existing with them but also being there for their trials and triumphs. As I have been Mel’s student for the last 2 years, I never really understood her perspective as a teacher. Now that I am on the other side, I see it through a whole different lens. It came to my realization that there is so much more that goes into this. 

In basketball, there’s a term called “floor general”. A floor general is defined to be a player who provides leadership by running the offense and commanding the defense in a basketball team. Usually, this individual has to know their teammates on a deep level and they are the one who connects all the pieces in a team together. So like a floor general, Mel understands the personnel of each of her students/players helping them to strive for greatness. She does it with great patience and understanding behind the scenes of a class/practice/match. Like Magic at Staples Center, she runs the show!

So … Senior Project isn’t like anything I have expected of it. I thought it would be way more stressful but I have been enjoying it. I cherish every moment that I get to spend with Mel. She has given me the chance to meet new people (Tennis team), who are actually kinda cool. There was never a dull moment being around the team and I’m really grateful that I’m part of Mel’s life for the last 2 weeks of my high school career. 

my mentor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 9

Day 1

Final Reflection