Final Reflection

All good things come to an end and my thrill ride as a Proctor’s educator/coach is coming to a stop. Building up to the Senior Project, I always questioned myself if shadowing Mel would be the most fun and meaningful experience because I would see that many of my peers were planning to do many cool off campus activities, for example: going fishing in Florida or selling clothes at a store in downtown Boston or getting a pilot license. Then there’s me just staying on campus, the place I’ve been calling home for the past 4 years. I wondered “Am I choosing the right decision?”. However, one thing that life has taught me is that don’t ever try so hard to be like someone else. I feel like I am living in a generation where everybody focuses on other people too much, caring about other people's judgment way too much and Senior Project has proven to me that if I focus and cherish the thing that I do, I will always make the best out of it. And I did make the best out of following Mel around the whole day. Of course, I didn’t just follow her around, rather I joined the Girls Varsity Tennis team, preparing for class materials, grading students work, and any other things that Mel needs help with in her life. SHE’S A BUSY PERSON.

The first day of Senior Project set the tone for me. Let me tell you what I did. Mel and I met during d block to start the day. We went over plans and expectation for the 2 weeks. In addition, I helped Mel prepare for some class materials for her Athlete in Lit class (a and b block). After our meeting, I headed to my first class which is Athlete in Lit b block. In this class, students were having a presenting day. They had to read a book called Saltwater Buddha and create a map on where the main character traveled. And my job is to grade them. Big responsibility! I thought grading wasn't as easy as I thought. After b block, Mel and I moved to Woodland center for a block, where I did the same thing as last class. As classes ended, I went over to the field house to help get water and ice for the GV Tennis team, preparing them for their match against Tilton @4:30pm. I was assigned to keep track of the score for each game and I had a fun time watching the girls compete. So that really was it for my first day, getting to meet new faces and starting a job that I have no experience with. But that day changed my mind about Senior Project. It was so fun that it made me feel so excited every morning knowing that I have Senior Project.

Everyday, I see and learn new things from my mentor, Melanie, just through her interactions with her students and players. Everyday, I’m getting to meet and get to know my peers on a deeper level. I’m no longer just co-existing with them but also being there for their trials and triumphs. As I have been Mel’s student for the last 2 years, I never really understood her perspective as a teacher. Now that I am on the other side, I see it through a whole different lens. It came to my realization that there is so much more that goes into this. In basketball, there’s a term “floor general”. A floor general is defined to be a player who provides leadership by running the offense and commanding the defense in a basketball team. Usually, this individual has to know their teammate on a deep level and they are the one who connects all the pieces in a team together. So like a floor general, Mel understands the personnel of each of her students/players helping them to strive for greatness. I realize that there’s so much patience and understanding behind the scenes of a class/practice/match.

My favorite moment from the past 2 weeks was when I was walking to practice one day, I heard someone shout my name out real loud, sounding like they were mad, kinda, "ANNNNNN!" It was Kelly. Kelly wasn't happy with the fact that I was missing blogs but Kelly knew I was going to get it done. I promised Kelly that I was going to get it done and continue my peaceful walk to practice.

As I woke up this morning, it hasn’t hit me that Senior Project is over and my highschool career is coming to an end. I told Mel that I am going to miss being her partner in crime and give her a little thank you note as she did the same for me. Those 2 weeks felt quick, probably because there was so much joy and laughter. I had so much fun going to classes, helping students out as somebody who has been there before. Furthermore, the tennis team has made my Senior Project memorable. From the day that I walked up to the court shy and not knowing anything about tennis, to them calling me “Coach An” everytime I walked past any of them at school. I told them not to call me “Coach” but they love doing things I don’t like. They welcomed me like one of their own and we cherished every moment we got to spend together. For that, I am forever grateful for the opportunities they have given me. I am even more grateful for the fact that I have been part of Mel’s life for the past 2 weeks. I will continue to carry her fire and passion that she has taught me into the wider world. Mel’s presence in my life will not become extinguished from today but instead it will brighten the paths that I will traverse.                                                   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 9

Day 1

Day 2